With Winter well and truly on its way, its time to plan your best winter skin ever!
Your skin may just need some extra TLC with lower humidity levels, extreme cold, varying indoor and outdoor environments can all cause damage to the skins protective outer layer.
Vital lipids between cells get stripped away leaving dangerous gaps in the natural defensive barrier. Irritants can get in causing sensitivity and inflammation, while critical moisture gets sucked out.
Your skin might feel dry, tight, itchy, thirsty and possible tingly or stinging. It can look dull, flaky, drier around the eyes and possibly pink on the cheeks. Being more sensitive and reactive to your usual products and make up is also a common indication of gaps in the barrier.
Winter tips for your face
- Switch your foaming cleanser for a soothing gel cream instead which will replenish lipids and soothe sensitivity. Try Dermalogica’s UltraCalming Cleanser.
- Sweep away flaky, dull skin cells with Daily Resurfacer that gently smooths and brightens while hydrating the skin at the same time.
- Layer on hydration and reduce tightness by spritzing after cleansing and throughout the day and even over make up choose from MultiActive Toner, Antioxidant Hydramist or UltraCalming Mist.
- For sore, red, irritated skin comfort with a generous application of Ultracalming Serum Concentrate and use Ultracalming Relief Masque a few times a week to soothe and calm.
- Change to a heavier weight moisturiser for more nourishment and protection like Super Rich Repair for day and night.
- If it’s super cold, try a healing balm like Climate Control on exposed areas like lips, nose and cheekbones for extra protection and healing.
- Repair and diminish dry skin and lines by gently patting Intensive Eye Repair around the eyes.
Would you like a FREE sample of any of the above mentioned products?? Call into skinplus where they are waiting for you.
You may have noticed a few changes in your skin since summer and these may take the form of
- Pigmentation or darker discolouration on the skin
- Dull/thickened skin
If this IS the case for you, fear not as winter is Peel Season. We are able to help with all those concerns including acne and we can give new skin in five days.
95 Grandview Street
Pymble, NSW 2073
Telephone: 02 8094 9007
When I do a consultation with a new or existing client at Skin+ it allows me to find out their concerns or problems and expectations for their skin. Frequently the client will say to me they want skin like mine, so I will share five must do things for your skin and why I do them.
I wear sunscreen every day! Most of our extrinsic ageing is caused by the sun. I minimise this by using a daily moisturiser with SPF. This will reduce the onset of things like lines/wrinkles, pigmentation/age spots even dilated capillaries and profuse redness. Prevention is better than cure!
I exfoliate most days. Exfoliation will diminish the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, smooth and refine the skin and will help with dehydration or dryness. Irregular patches of pigmentation allow all other products applied to the skin to be more effective, as the dead skin has been removed. I exfoliate twice a week and then I do a more gentle micro-foliation on the other days. There are many different types of exfoliant scrubs: acid based and a mixture of both. It’s important to use the right one for your skin to avoid over exfoliation.
Keep hydrated! This is very easy to do with the use of a hydrating spritz or alcohol-free toner which can be spritzed on prior to moisturiser. This allows better absorption of product and can help even out the porosity of the skin. It can be used as often as you like throughout the day to maintain hydration – brilliant for planes! The reason you want to keep skin hydrated is that the skin will function more effectively. When the skin becomes dehydrated, certain enzymes in the skin stop working efficiently and we may end up with a bit more congestion and breakouts appearing on the skin.
Keep it clean. How effective are you at cleaning your skin? If you are not a morning person you may be half asleep in the shower and not focusing on where or how you are cleansing your face. To help make cleansing as effective as possible, I use an oil based cleanser for my first cleanse to liquefy all the oil based dirt on the skin (sebum, spf) and then my second is to leave me with my cleanest skin possible (but not squeaky clean or too stripped, which is bad).
Use an expert. That’s what they are there for! I only use professional products on my skin, as these have higher levels of active ingredients (peptides, vitamins, antioxidants) and as they are prescribed by a professional, I know I will get better results. I try and have a face treatment every four to six weeks. This allows me to know what is going on with my skin! At least every change of season I have my face mapped (analysed) to ensure I am using the best products for my skin.