Teresa Cutter - "FOR SNACKS I love to make my Peanut Butter Protein Balls, Muesli Power Bars or my Banana + Oatmeal Cookies." Enjoy Teressa's recipies below - for you, the family & friends to enjoy !
Enjoy snacks below – Read more about Teressa in our latest feature article.
PEANUT BUTTER PROTEIN BALLS
These protein balls take about 5 minutes to make and are the perfect portable breakfast, snack or quick lunch if you’re a mover and shaker on the go! They remind me a little of no-cook Anzac biscuits and are packed with rolled oats, coconut, dates, Healthy Chef Protein + your choice of nut butter. For these ones I’ve used peanut butter but feel free to use whatever nut butter you have in the fridge. They are also perfect to pack into the back of a cycling jersey as an energy snack for those times when you need a pick me up.
INGREDIENTS (12 BALLS)
120 g fresh pitted dates
1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 tablespoon Healthy Chef Protein
150 g peanut butter or your choice of nut butter (almond, macadamia etc)
a little water to mix if needed
- Combine dates, oats, coconut and Healthy Chef Protein into a food processor or blender.
- Mix through until the mixture looks like crumbs and dates have mixed through the oats.
- Remove the mixture and place into a large bowl.
- Add the nut butter and mix through until combined. Add more water if needed to mix into a dough.
- Scoop out 12 portions using a small ice cream scoop.
- Roll into balls and roll in chopped nuts, oats, granola or coconut.
- Store in the fridge for optimum freshness until needed for up to 7 days.
MUESLI POWER BARS
When that mid morning or afternoon hunger sets in, make sure you’re prepared with the right emergency foods to help keep you on the right track. Fresh fruit, trail mix or yoghurt make a terrific snack and so do these delicious home-made muesli bars that will take the edge off any hunger and are much healthier than the traditional store bought versions. These bars take around 5 minutes to mix up from your favourite bircher muesli combo then all you need to do is bake them.
INGREDIENTS (16 SLICES)
3 cups (350g) natural bircher muesli (see notes for gluten free )
½ cup (50g) LSA – (ground linseed + almonds + sunflower seed)
3 organic eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or paste
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil or macadamia nut oil
1/4 cup (60 ml) raw honey
- Preheat oven to 160 C – fan forced.
- Combine muesli, LSA, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, olive oil and honey in one large bowl until mixed through.
- Spoon into a baking tin lined with baking paper.
- Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until golden.
- Cool then cut into 16 pieces.
BANANA + OATMEAL COOKIES
This is a power packed cookie that will energise and sustain your body for hours! It’s my healthy cookie recipe that’s perfect to pack into a lunch box and made from banana, rolled oats, coconut, cinnamon and vanilla. What I love about making them is that you can just throw all the ingredients into a bowl and mix. It’s important to mix them well – for about 5 minutes either by hand or in your stand mixer. The more you mix, the more the cookies start to hold together. I’ve added plump raisins into mine, but I also love to add chocolate chips that will make them really yummy. To pump up the protein I also love to replace some of the oats with a few spoonfuls of Healthy Chef Protein.
INGREDIENTS (MAKES 12 COOKIES)
150 g smashed ripe banana
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
200 g (2 cups / 7 oz) rolled oats
½ cup desiccated coconut
½ cup raisins or good quality dark chocolate chips or a little of both – you can also use dried blueberries
¼ cup organic maple syrup
¼ cup olive oil or soft butte
- Preheat your oven to 130 C / 270 F.
- Combine all the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Mix together well with your hands, squeezing the mixture together until it starts to bind. To make it easier… just combine in a food processor and it will do the job perfectly.
- Form into 12 cookies. I like to use a small ice cream scoop for this, but you can also use a tablespoon or your hands.
- Flatten slightly.
- Bake in a moderately low oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until golden and set on the outside.
- Cool and enjoy.